Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Who created the Thai Bargirl?

I am prompted to write this by an article I have just read on the Thai Butterfly Blog

Sadly, the author doesn't allow comments on that blog so I was unable to add my thoughts there.

Whilst I agree 100% with his point about the negative discrimination against "bar-girls" and also agree that each individual should be judged on their own merits there are two points worth raising:-
  1. He states that the "Thai bar girl" is a product of farang visitors. This is total nonsense - less than 5% of the "bar girls" work in "farang bars". Over 95% of Thai "bar-girls" work in bars that are exclusively for the use of Thai patrons (almost exclusively male). Bangkok is a BIG city. Farang bars are almost exclusively limited to the 3 main entertainment areas of Nana, Cowboy and Patpong. Thai bars on the other hand are everywhere else and there are literally thousands of them.

  2. The point about some farang "looking down" on Bar Girls. Yes to a degree this is true but not half as true as it is about the attitude of Thais towards them. Thais see bar girls as the lowest of the low, with the possible exception of katoeys involved in the sex trade.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I'm steve and that is my article you are quoting, thanks for caring.

I think that either you are being mischievous or my post was not entirely clear, but when I referred to 'bargirls' in that piece I was specifically referring to girls working in farang orientated nightlife areas.

My understanding is that 95% of the sex trade in Thailand is in the non-tourist sector or domestic market, if I can use such terminology.

I don't coment on the way Thais treat 'bargirls' because I have no knowledge of subject.

As far as bargirls in farang orinted nightlife areas go, and that is what I was referring to, I stand by the notion that they are a product of our habits. It is rich for us to sneer at them, in my opinion.

I see how farang treat Thai girls, whether they work in a bar or not, and that really is what I feel qualified to comment on.

Paul said...

Steve

Im not being mischievous at all. I would have argued the point on YOUR blog but you don't allow comments there - at at least you didn't at the time.

Liked your blog just had a query over that article :)

Anonymous said...

I get so much spam, literally around 50 spam posts a day, that all comments get lost in the moderation.

In my defence, I have installed a forum and if anyone wants to tell me what a muppet I am they can do :)

http://thethaibutterfly.com/thaibforum/index.php

Steve

Paul said...

Steve try adding Akismet - this filters out 99% of my spam posts and also use the thing where they have to fill in the numbers visible - that cut mine down to just a handful ma day.

Anonymous said...

Hi Dudes,

I've just noticed your conversation. It's over a year old, but hope you're still there.

I can see where you're both coming from. There's some truth in Steve's view, cos the Thai girls, lovely as they are, will always try and shape themselves to you.

I think the difference between us farangs and the Thais is that we appreciate the girls and respect them. I've always considered it really hypocritical how the Thais hold them in contempt. Sex is always a shared act.

Like your blog. Check my Cockfosters blog